Miigis reveals the power of nature and Indigenous prophecy. In Anishnaabe culture, the miigis shell represents the “the perfect breath” of life that informs the origin story of our passage from the Atlantic Coast to the Great Lakes. Fusing contemporary Indigenous dance with athleticism in an extraordinary form, Miigis explores the catalysts for movement, memory, water trade routes, ancestral forces, and the cycle of life.
- Preview at Jacob’s Pillow Festival in August 2017
- Premiered at Fort York Historic Site, September 2017
- 6 dancers, 6 musicians, 12 traditional dancers (optional), 3 crew
- Second day open (same day by arrangement)
- 60 minutes running time
- Site specific in outdoor settings
- Audiences of all ages
A co-commission by City of Toronto, Bentway Conservancy, and Fort York National Historic Site with the support of Canadian Heritage.